Monday, September 29, 2014

Welcome to Little Boy Living Blue!

Hello!  My name is Kerry, and I am many things-wife, daughter, sister, friend, geek-but I am also the mother to an autistic boy.  This blog (the "living blue" part refers to autism spectrum disorder, often identified with the color blue) is going to be a way for me to chronicle the story of our lives.  I have a little family of three-myself, my husband Technodad, and our 5 year old son, J.  I'm using these names as a way of protecting their privacy.  Technodad, by virtue of his career field, is aware of how fickle privacy is on the internet, and J is simply too young to understand and give consent.  I'm sure I'll share the sunshine filled moments, but I also think it's important to share those other moments-you know the ones-because I believe that it gives a fuller picture of what autism can be like to live with.  Maybe, by knowing about those times, it can help people to develop a better understanding of what can be done to help make the world more accessible for those on the spectrum.

I've been thinking for a long time about how different each person with autism can be, and how important it is that society can see those differences.  Each child, each teen, each adult has a unique voice, opinions, and preferences, and those things often get lost or ignored by society.  I'm a strong believer in self-advocacy for the autistic population (which is why you won't ever see me advertising for Autism Speaks, but that's another post for another day), and for giving those people a voice and platform.  Ideally, as my son grows older, and as we become more involved in the autism community, I'd like to allow those people to use my blog as a soapbox of sorts.  It'll also probably have rambling posts about my love/hate relationship with the gym, how Peter Capaldi's Doctor blew Matt Smith's out of the water, recipes for cheesecake, and whatever else blows my skirt up.  Expect to see pictures of my kid being cute, links to nifty blogs, and the occasional mention of a product or service I really enjoy.  I don't plan to seek out companies to review, so if I tell you all about a cool toy or helpful sensory item or whatnot, it's because I personally liked it.

So, assuming that I can actually follow through with my good intentions to blog, I hope you'll join me in our adventures in living blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment